Saturday, September 04, 2004

I feel like getting philosophical today. Maybe it has to do with me being stuck in the school library on a SATURDAY morning, wasting away in front of the computer. Maybe this situation desn't have an effect on you, but it sure makes me feel like spewing some crap wisdom which I hope can pass off as philosophical.

I read Sophie's World again yesterday night before dozing off. It's written by this guy who writes books about life and stuff like that. Yeah, yeah, boring. But I always end up reading them anyways. So, in this book, the main character Sophie [hence the aptly-titled Sophie's World] discovers with the help of a philosopher that they were merely characters written by a major in a book for his daughter. Now, the irony is WE are reading a book about a major writing a book about characters who discover that they are in a book. I think the effect that Joseph Gaardstein [the author] intended to create here is that after reading this book, we should all feel as though we are in a play with a script that has been pre-determined; that we are the characters and God is the playwriter. Which is true in a way, because I believe in Fate.

Let me get more philosophical. Have you ever felt that humans are getting tired of living? We are so monotonous, that in order to entertain ourselves, we have to come up with games such as war and torture and nuclear bombs and stuff like that. Will there ever be a human being who doesn't scream at the sight of his neighbour floating in the air without any equipment? Will there be anyone who doesn't ooh-ahh at the sight of a baby born with two heads. I like to believe that once upon a time, we were all so new to this world that everything was a delight. And because the young sons and daughters of Adam and Eve were so awed by this world, they respected the earth and the dust and the wind and left everything untouched.

I have a theory that we humans pollute the earth because we are sick of it. We are bored. We need to do something besides just living. So we do stuff that hurt ourselves. Maybe it's because we all want to die faster. Anyway, what am I crapping about?

I need to eat. Hungry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home