Saturday, September 18, 2004

Fana had a near-death experience today - if you call being stuck in the mud to oh, up to your ANKLES dying. You see, we had ICCS today for Interact, where we went to the Sungei Loyang swamp to clean up the coastal area [I shall describe the state of the swamp later]. Being extremely environmentally conscious people [you see, Fana only litters because she wants decomposition to take place and hence restores the balance of the Carbon cycle], me and Fana actually sacrificed our Saturday to get all mucky even though we now have the 5-day work week.

So anyways, Fana and I were separated into different groups [I was actually team leader; what were they thinking??!!]. And the moment we finished our work and she saw me again, she went, "Suli...you know what? I almost died you know. I was stuck in the mud up to HERE." The moment I heard the word 'here', I thought it was up to say, her chest? But her clothes were still clean and her hands were pointing to her ankles. I'm SURE she could have suffocated to death. Oh yeah, I forgot. Fana's NOSTRILS happen to be under her FEET, remember?

Why ALMOST died only? My mother always says never do a job halfway. If you want to do something, go all the way. Hrmph.. Fana. You should listen to my mother.

Anyway, back to the swamp story. You see, I had a 'good' experience with swamps in my sec 3 camp where I literally could have been swallowed whole in the thick icky mud. I was actually up to my waist level in mud and still sinking, so now you know why I scoffed at Fana's idea of 'dying'. But I don't live in swamps you know, so I was a bit shocked lah at the state of the swamp. Firstly, the smell. Fana says it smells of nature. I DO like the smell of nature, but not when the smell is like that of a fart. Secondly, the amount of rubbish in there was appalling. It's so sad to see the state of our swamp. Really, we even found tyres there. And once, according to the teacher in charge, they even found tables, chairs, sofas. I mean really, why can't they throw away these things properly, you know? We spotted LOADS of crabs and snails and a cute mudskipper.

Like I said, I was the group leader, but effectively, I was the most useless person there. You see, I have a fear of the unknown [who doesn't?]. I like swimming but I hate swiming in dark waters where I can't see a thing down there. I like exploring but I don't like walking i dimly-lit areas where I cannot see the things around me. So, the swamp is not exactly my favourite place to be in. I spotted this plastic thingy so I started to pull at it, until I saw how long it was and so, I satrted imagining that it was a snake skin (!). I screamed, dropped it like a hotpotato and shouted for help. It turned out to be what I initially thought it was - plastic. From then on, I let my team member pick up the trash while I just recorded what they picked up. No, no. I wasn't being a bad leader. I was just giving them the opportunity to get in touch with the wild side.

Hurhur.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home