Tuesday, February 20, 2007

But it's still a beautiful world we live in..

War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left.















This photograph showing a starving Sudanese child being stalked by a vulture won Kevin Carter the 1994 Pulitzer Prize for feature photography.

People facing starvation:
1. Ethiopia (up to 14 million)
2. Zimbabwe (6.7 million)
3. Malawi (3.3 million)
4. Sudan (2.9 million)
5. Zambia (2.9 million)

and the actual figures may be alarmingly higher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading all these facts, looking at all those photos of starving children, literally down to their skin and bones; it makes me so angry.

I'm angry at the way governments can spend billions of dollars on military equipment, which will be used for wars, which will destroy the crops and lands, and bring more people to starvation.

I'm angry that the newspapers pay more attention to Britney Spears checking into rehab after shaving her head bald than to write columns dedicated to the plight of people stuck in war-torn countries.

I'm angry that people in certain parts of the world treat their dogs better than the way some of these poor children are treated.

I feel sad when I looked at a photograph of a young child in Africa, who looked so skinny and sickly, smiling right at the camera, as though he had no problems, as though he wasn't facing hardship..

...It makes all of our worries, all of our problems, all of our pains, seem so damn selfish right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home